Monday, September 22, 2014

Fresh Tomato Garlic Sauce

Today is my day off and my mom suggested I make a sauce for myself using the tomatoes she just picked from her garden. I wanted to make a sauce that was chunkier than my normal tomato sauce and would take less time to cook. This is what I came up with.

click to view picture larger


INGREDIENTS
(keep in mind this is one serving, so if you're cooking for more than one person be sure to multiply everything by the number of people you'e cooking for)

*4 small or two large tomatoes
*2 cloves of garlic
*2 tbs olive oil
*2 tbs butter
*1/8 cup+ low sodium chicken broth
*salt & pepper
*basil
*oregano

Start by cutting the tomatoes into pieces about the size of your thumbnail. For this sauce, you only want the outer chunks of the tomato, because you don't want a ton of mushy pieces and seeds that can come with the center of the tomato. You should have about 1/2-2 cups of tomato chunks when you're done. Add them to a bowl, add a little salt and pepper, mix, and let them marinate while you get the rest of the sauce ready.

For the garlic, you can choose to finely mince the cloves or just dice them up a bit. I love chunky garlic, so I chose the latter.

Turn a saucepan on medium heat and melt the butter and olive oil together. Add the garlic, a little salt and pepper, and basil and oregano all to taste. I used about a tsp of basil and oregano to start. I continuously mixed at this point to avoid burning the garlic.

Once you can start to smell the garlic and spices, add the chicken broth and tomatoes and bring the heat up to high. Bring it to a boil, return to medium heat, and cover. After about five minutes, remove the lid and mix. You'll know it's done when the tomatoes have completely burst and the sauce has turned red. Taste to make sure you're happy with the flavors, and if you are-get ready

If your sauce is looking a little too thick, feel free to add some more chicken broth.

Once your sauce is finished, spoon it over some gnocchi, noodles, chicken, etc. and enjoy!

Stay Stellar,
Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment