Saturday, December 28, 2013

Banana Blueberry Power Smoothie Packs

I've never been someone who could eat a huge breakfast without feeling sluggish all day, but just a piece of toast was getting boring day after day and didn't really give me much energy. I've always been a big fan of anything that comes in blended form (frappes, slushies, milkshakes, smoothies, etc.) but I don't want to wake up early everyday to put stuff together for one. So I decided to make smoothie packs with some of my favorite ingredients that I can just pop into the blender in the morning before I leave for work.
I work at a daycare, so I need all of the healthy stuff you can think of to get me through the day (don't get me wrong, I love my job, it just requires a lot of energy that a piece of toast wasn't giving me), which is why I decided to put together this combination of powerful foods to get me ready to take the day on!

First off, here's what you need for the smoothie packs:


*Small freezer bags (must be freezer bags to avoid frost)
*Sharpie
*Cutting board
*Knife
*Spoon
*Bananas (help battle depression, maintain blood sugar, give you energy, full of antioxidants, the list goes on...)
*Blueberries (proven to have more antioxidants than any other fruit or vegetable, promote brain/sight/heart/bone health, and helps get rid of belly fat) *Raw Almonds (aid in weight loss/maintaining your weight, help with brain function, and lower your cholesterol)
*Greek Yogurt-I have two different flavors and regular yogurt for the fifth smoothie pack shown for people who don't like Greek Yogurt (full of protein and calcium, has probiotics which help with digestion and improve your immune system, and keeps you feeling full longer)

After you've gathered all of your ingredients, label your freezer bags so you know when you made them and what's in it (you can tell for the most past just from looking, aside from the yogurt flavor).



Next, slice each banana and place one in each bag.



After you've done that, place two handfuls of blueberries in each bag.



Then, add a handful of the raw almonds to each bag.



Lastly, add half a container of Greek Yogurt to each bag (2-3 spoonfuls if you're taking it from a large container), flatten it to get as much air out as possible, then tightly seal it.



Your smoothie packs are now ready to freeze! You won't need to add ice, but you might want to add a splash of milk if it's too thick once it's blended. I suggest storing them flat so they take up less space in the freezer. Have fun making/drinking these and coming up with your own variations!

Stay Stellar,
Paige Elise

No comments:

Post a Comment